6/14/09

Five Minutes More

"Where is it?"

"In the basement."

"Who told you to do it?"

"Murphy. Who else?"

"Why does he want him and his family to get it?"

"They musta crossed him."

"Where in the basement?"

"Near the furnace."

"How much longer?"

"Twenty minutes."

"It must be awful."

"What must be awful?"

"Goin' quick without even knowin' it."

"Yeah, must be awful."

"You ever let your job get to ya?"

"Nah. I do what I'm told. It's the only way."

"I wonder if he knows Murphy was after him?"

"Must. Murphy's been warnin' him for a long time."

"How many kids has he got?"

"Three."

"How old?"

"Real young."

"Pretty wife?"

"Yeah, man, beauty queen."

"How much longer?"

"Fifteen minutes."

"How long ya been workin' for Murphy?"

"Ten years."

"You good friends or sumthin'?"

"Nah, I jus' work for him."

"Oh."

"How long you been workin' for him?"

"Six months in Reno. How much longer?"

"Ten minutes more."

"You blow up a lotta stuff?"

"Yeah. Twenny jobs like this. Used to work for McMasters in Philly. Best bank man in the whole damn country."

"Gee, I never knew that. Murphy must like you, huh?"

"How come you said that?"

"Well he must like you if he gives you this job."

"He don't love me or nothin'. I jus' do my job, that's all."

"Wonder what he's doin' inside, him and his wife that their young kids."

"Who knows? Probably watchin' TV or sumthin' like that."

"You never get scared?"

"About what?"

"This kinda work ya do for Murphy."

"Nah."

"How much longer?"

"Five minutes more."

"Guess this'll be the last of them."

"Yeah, guess so."

"You ever feel like runnin' out and savin' somebody?"

"You crazy? Me, cross Murphy? He'd hit me hard and fast."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Sure I am. I don't give a damn about who I'm killin', else I wouldn't take the job."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Should be any minute now."

"There it goes! Boy, I'm glad that's over."

"Yeah, me too."

"Let's get outta here. I think we oughta report to Murphy."

"Yeah, let's go."

"Ya know, it must be awful."

"Yeah."



1971; edited 2009
Copyright © 1971, 2009, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment