1/13/09

Deep Freeze To Thaw

The warmth of your love,
so tender and complete,
helps me as I wander
this rigid landscape,
this frozen tundra
with flowers six feet under,
dotted with grey harpoons
fired down by God
to pierce the stone-hard
whiteness of winter,
the way you pierced my heart,
seeking its center;
although we are apart,
you are near --
you calm my fears --
even though space and years
always try to interfere:
I need you more than ever,
my Dear.

Someday, when my heart lies still,
I know you will be there,
under the full winter moon,
to reclaim your harpoon.

And above all that I see,
your eyes shine to illumine me;
down the forest's thick way,
just for a while, just a day;
and that will be enough,
that will be enough.

Though all my life's been a crazy swirl,
I hope I leave a slightly better world,
when all my work is through;
and I know at least
even when I cease
that I made some dreams come true,
and that I really did love you.


January 13, 2009, for Jan.

Copyright © 2009, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment