12/18/08

Forty-Five?

I think back, just a little while ago,
And it just amazes me, how little did I know;
Now, with my learnin', tied tight to my yearnin':
How much left to know, I don't know;
But I'm puttin' this down now,
Never thought I would allow,
As how I'm feelin' alive:
He's forty-five.

Hells bells, I can surely compete:
I thought he was 20 or 25 years younger than me;
But come on, nine years;
I can do that with one life tied behind my back.

Forty-five?
No competition at all,
No reason to take that fall,
Reason enough to stay alive;
I have breakfast most days,
And part of it is
Forty-five.

Still in it, baby,
To win, and not maybe;
Still got it, tonight proved,
Turns out, I don't lose.

Forty-five?
Good Lord,
Sakes alive,
I'm back, and on the attack:
I'm gonna survive,
And beat him at this game:
Forty-five?
Oh so loserly lame.



December 18, 2008, for Jan.
Copyright © 2008, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment