2/18/09

the distance

I thought for sure that I always knew
about the distance between me and you;
used to be that I was so certain,
but baby that was before I started hurtin';
you know, back when you pulled the curtain:
all those alarms that you heard alertin'.

I thought that true would always do,
no matter the distance between me and you;
but all the stuff that gets in the way,
well all of that came back today,
and days like this seem different when
viewed from some distance, but
up close they are bigger and scarier;
now, with some time, I am warier:
no longer stuck in a trance, I find
myself asking someone else to dance,
and I really wish this was just a bad
dream, but it is just what it seems:
nothing more, baby, nothing more;
no more resistance, out of persistence,
and I see that all that's left is the rest of
the distance between me and you,
even though I thought I knew.



February 18, 2009.

Copyright © 2009, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment