10/6/09

drive

I was out today,
feeling powerful,
driving the PT,
sunny, blue sky,
about 65 degrees,
windows down,
shades on,
glistening,
reflecting,
sunroof open,
Fun 107 blasting
Drake:
Best I Ever Had,
and I was feeling
immortal again,
totally fucking
invincible;
(hell, I even
considered, briefly,
unfastening
the seat belt
except I knew
how strongly
You would
disapprove),
and I thought,
this is one of the
best gifts that
You
have given me:
me,
back;
restored,
17 again,
but with
38 years
of experience;
yeah, okay,
a real
peacock moment,
fine, guilty
as charged;
but seeing as how
low I found my heart
could go only
recently, and now
watching it clip clouds
as it cruises
the atmosphere,
well that is awesome
(an overused word,
but awe is the emotion),
so I wanted to jot down
a few lines to relate it,
and to say thanks
for falling in love with
me, for probably the
one thousandth time,
for making the climb,
snagging the line
as I cruised by,
only another soul,
tumbling through
the sky, and for being
so true after so many
millennia;
soft and strong,
fearless and panicky,
deep and hilarious:
the song that my heart
sang centuries ago,
the One I know
will always find me,
inspire me,
believe in me,
and on whom I cast
eyes of adoration,
as I see you next to me,
uttering a simple command:
drive.


October 6, 2009, for the Wifey.

Copyright © 2009, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment