9/2/09

only tomorrow

there were some turns that I suppose
I should have taken, baby, some twists
that I should have followed, but it all
seemed so hollow, every bend, every
corner, it was all I could do to keep on
a path, a trail, that led me out of such
great travail, such unspeakable sadness,
and so I was more than a bit less of
what I started out to be, but I was
too shaken to learn, ready for some
undertaker's urn, so I just kept to
the straight and narrow, maybe a bit
too shallow, but I was one really
scared fellow, anything but mellow,
cocked and aimed, but without a
target, a sniper's worst nightmare,
something out there, somewhere,
but nothing to spot, anywhere,
but yet even as I was spooked, I
stayed cool, even though I was cooked,
right down to my marrow, and so I hope
that you will forgive me for being
less than I ought to be, but baby I
have tried to be uncontrived, to be
the man that I was meant to be, and
alive, which is far better off than dead,
and looking ahead, leaving behind all
that dread, I need you in order to
survive, I need you so that I can
strive for tomorrow, with no more
sorrow, my sweet baby, no more of
those worries, baby, never again, and
not now, only tomorrow.




September 2, 2009, for the Wifey, who always stands by me.

Copyright © 2009, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment