5/17/10

this moment

I've given up on making
long-range plans,
although it's a pretty
radical step,
and so I don't recommend it
to most folk;

I used to plan everything,
my meticulosity rising, at times,
to obsessive heights
(which I am afraid of),
and I suppose that generally
it served me well
over the years;

but now, it just seems like
too much work
to trim a candle
that could self-extinguish
at any moment;

ten centuries from now,
ten decades from now,
ten years from now,
ten months from now,
ten weeks from now,
ten days from now,
ten hours from now,
ten minutes from now,
ten seconds from now,

all that will have really mattered
will be the moment that just passed
while you were reading the line above;

of course, I worry that planning
on not planning anymore will,
just like expecting the unexpected,
put me right back where I was:

at least, as of this moment,
that's the plan.


May 17, 2010. (Yeah, I know, "meticulosity" is not a word. Sue me.)

Copyright © 2010, Ricky A. Pursley. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment